Select Page

After a chilled morning the four of us decided to go check out a waterfall we had heard about from others at the accommodation. It is just after Scar Reef (around an 45 mins from Santai), down a little track in some houses and through some rice fields. Again, as can be easily expected in this area, the views of the mountains are breath taking. We were able to pass a gate and leave the bikes at the top of a hill to then walk to the waterfall. Surprisingly, it was only a five minuit walk. The sight before us was stunningly serene. A long cascade plummeting over mossy rocks high up and clean, light speckled rocks closer to the bottom. Inside the rocks was a little cave way, just big enough to fit a small person in. The lagoon at the bottom was bright light blue water, diffracting the light into sparkles across the rocks beneath. The water was perfectly fresh in temperature with little fish swimming around that sucked the dead skin from your body. We were able to climb up and jump from areas, one Indo guy (kamakasi style) was jumping from the highest parts and even went right up to the top to have a go which would be a stupid idea as it was around 30 meters high with only around 10-15 meters depth in the pool. Thankfully he decided against it, as I was gearing myself up to lifeguard him once he smashed the bottom!

We went back to Supersuck to eat something and watched the sunset with a beer on the beach. It was a truly enjoyable and beautiful day. One of the things I enjoy most about travelling is to sit and share stories with people I meet. To hear about their lives and the travels they have made is always enlightening and I learn so much from people’s experiences.

After hearing about another waterfall which is a longer walk and tricky to find, I set off the next day with my new companions whilst Tristan sorted some things in the village. The drive there was not too long, just after the police station in Maluk. We stopped by the river and started what we though was the correct journey. We had all asked different people directions, and with a confusing amalgamation of info we thought we must have the route pretty down. Boy were we wrong! A main thing to look out for was the link ties in the trees to show the way. Initially we took a path along some rice fields and used our initiative (of what we presumed we had a lot of) and started hiking up the jungle. Our loose instructions consisted of a tree with monkeys in, pink ties, rocks and mud. Of course all these things are mostly everywhere, besides the pink ties. After around half an hour we knew we must have gone wrong somewhere, as the walk was supposed to take only 20-25 minuits in total. Danny turned back after this amount of time due to him not wanting to get bitten by a certain type of mosquito. I learned that there is a certain type here that when bitten, they attack your immune system, not malaria mosquitoes but still pretty dangerous. He has already been bitten by this type twice, and hospitalised after the second; a third bite from one of these suckers and he would quite possibly die. The maximum times to be bitten by them is three before you become so sick that your body can no longer fight back. Along with this I also found out that tiger snakes are around the area and the green snakes that look like grass snakes are actually poisonous in this country! Good job I didn’t get close to the one I saw on my walk the other day!






It became increasingly clear to me that I should have worn my trainers on this adventure and it was nothing like the previous waterfall adventure! We would not give up however and continued searching for the waterfall. My worries about the flip flops became a real issue when one of them broke, so I tied my hair bobble around my foot and flip flop to make a make shift slider. The pursuit continued…
we returned to where we started and took a tunnel through to another part of the rainforest. Again we followed countless tracks to no avail and lost more and more hope, under the afternoon sun getting more sweaty and tired the more we searched. We tried every path we could find, with locals we passed telling us to continue straight, but every path led to a dead end of broken branches or closing bushes. We knew there must be a way because others had been in the morning.
After exhausting every effort, we accepted defeat and begrudgingly returned to the bikes. As we arrived two girls passed us on a bike following the river. Of course! We were meant to follow the river all the way down! How stupid were we to not have even considered this in the first place. We started walking along the river, realised it would be quite far and made a consensus to keep trying one more time before the sun set. With three on the scooter we made it to the end of the road and eventually found a pink ribbon! Hallelujah !
In an excited euphoria we followed the trail at a fast rate of knots to ensure we didn’t get stuck in the dark. That would be the last thing we wanted after a day like today!






After a 20min climb following the markers and the sound of the waterfall, with some rock climbing and steep hills we popped out of the rainforest straight onto the waterfall. I have never been so glad to see water in my life! We were all dirty and sweaty and without another word we all stripped to out swimmers and jumped into the pools. I went up the waterfall a bit to explore and found a fully functioning flip flop! The only problem was that it was the wrong foot. It was better than a broken one though so I took that one. Clearly someone else had had the same problem as the broken one laid just next to it! Thank god for who ever left it there! We headed back down the track so as not to be caught out in the dark and headed back to our accommodation in true Indo style again, three on a bike. We got back to see Tristan stood on the porch looking slightly worried, we had been gone for about 5 hours and Danny had returned a lot earlier.

Of course we ended the day with sharing our stories of the day together and having a few Bintangs.